Monday, December 30, 2013

Running with my 8 year old

Shelby has expressed that she would like to run in a 5k.  Not just any 5k, a Color Run 5K.  She saw the pictures from last years 5k at the Florida State Fairgrounds, and was immediately interested.  That was back in May.  Tonight we started "training" for the 5k Tampa Bay is having Feb 22, 2014.  (Which just happens to be my oldest daughter's 18th birthday.)  We are following a type of couch-to-5k process.  A mixture of walk/run rotations for so many minutes each for so many sets. 

Now, before you freak out and think "OMGosh! You're going to let your kid run that far?" I have already researched it.  In fact, I have a friend from one on the mom forums I belong to who ran in a 5k with her 8 year old, and I thought how cool is that?  I was like "I'm so ready!"  So, yes, we are doing this together.   I will be monitoring how she is doing and watching for her cues so she doesn't over due it. 
We just looked up running times for last years 10 and under crowd at Gasparilla, and if we did what we did tonight (run/walk) we would finish in about 52 minutes.  I showed Shelby that is about midway in all the names.  She told me "We've got this".

So happy to see her excited about running!  Now...lets get the Daddy better and he can run with us too!

No comments:

Post a Comment