Monday, June 27, 2011

Canning

Well, today is the day...or night.  I'm going to pickle!  Yes, that's right.  I have not canned anything since I made strawberry jelly on my wedding day.  Yeah, that's right-I canned the morning of my wedding day. LOL.  It actually turned out to be strawberry syrup.  It was REALLY good though. 
So I went to the grocery store, and bought myself some pickling salt, and some more vinegar.  I actually had to go back into the store, because my oldest who was suppose to be helping me remember what to get-didn't do her job very well.  On our way out, I heard someone yell "Hey, I know you!".  It was my Mother-in-law.  LOL, I always seem to run into her at the grocery store, but at 9pm was a first. 
So, 9pm it was the grocery store.
9:25pm it was the garden, picking the peppers off my plants with a flashlight.  I know sounds a little weird right?  Well, I forgot that the peppers needed to sit in a brine solution over night.  (12-18 hours it says)
So, I cut them suckers into strips, and they are pruning up in a bunch of salt as I type!  Tomorrow I'll be adding carrots, onions, and cauliflower to the mix.  I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

I'm specifically making a jar of JUST banana peppers for my 6 year old.  She LOVES pickled banana peppers.  So much in fact that when we go and get subs, it's one of the only 3 ingredients she puts on her sandwich. 

Tonight is ALSO technically the last day of my vacation.  I don't work tomorrow, but tomorrow is my normal day off.  I don't wanna go back to work.  I REALLY don't wanna go back to work.  I thought I'd be ready to go because it's been almost 3 weeks, but I'm not.  It makes me miss being home with the family even more.  But, eh....so it goes.  

Tomorrow is grocery day. 

I feel like I'm cheating on Sweetbay, but I'm going to try shopping at Aldi's tomorrow.  One of my friends from work shops there, and she says she saves a lot of money, so I'm going to go and see what's up.  My parents use to shop there-back when they had a million mouths to feed.  (1 million meaning 6 kids minimum.) 

So, I guess it's off to plan out the menu for the week. 
Or maybe I could just log over and play a little bit of World of Warcraft.  You know....just for a bit.  Or I could go to bed-since I have to get ready for work and all in a day.   I wonder if the staffing coordinator needs people to stay home on Wednesday; I could use an other day of vacation. LOL!!!!!!  (I think my co-workers would come to the house and beat me down.)

No comments:

Post a Comment