Friday, May 6, 2011

The Garden

I really need to get out there and take some pictures. The tomatoes are coming up nicely. I'm going to go ahead and say that one of them is around 5 feet when I stand it upright. The big boys that I planted have all grown to over 4 foot tall, and are not being supported any more by the cages. My romas are still contained, and starting to fruit! It's nice to see the garden working so well this year. I learned a lot since last year, and also because of last year. I think I have at least one tomato on each plant! It's very exciting.

It rained today, and my beans LOVED it. A couple of the plants grew runners overnight, and well, they did just that. However, I need to do a little research, cause I planted the girls "We grew beans in class" plants next to the trellis (honestly I didn't think they would make it) and they are growing! So, I just wonder if I'm going to have green bean flavored lima beans, or lima bean flavored green beans. Guess we'll find out later!

We transplanted Stephanie's canteloupes. She started 4 plants from seeds-in the middle of the yard. I don't quite understand what exactly she did that for, but what does matter is that they flurished, and transplanted them to the garden, where they have continued to flurish! Ironically they are living very well where my summer squash plants died a horrible death. I don't know what happened, but they didn't like living in my garden, so they went to the big garden in the sky. All 6 plants. I was bummed, cause we eat summer squash a lot, and this would've saved us a lot of money. However, I think that with the amount of canteloupe Stephanie should get out of her 4 plants, maybe she can sell them at a produce stand, and buy us summer squash!

I got a tospy turvey for my birthday last year. I was waiting for cucumbers to plant in it, but I'm thinking maybe I should just let Stephanie (my resident green thumb) plant me a seed, and then we'll transplant them later. It would definately be cheaper, Especially since I have a cucumber in the kitchen. The wheels are turning, can you feel the heat and smell the burning wires?

Tomorrow is grocery day. It won't really be much of a "grocery" day, because there is only $11 left in our grocery budget for this month. However, that is an other post. But, groceries and the garden go hand in hand. I've already saved money from planting the garden, and I'll be saving a lot more money as things mature and we can eat them!

No comments:

Post a Comment