Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Clothes Pin Holder!

So, last night, as my sister is sitting on the computer doing her homework, I decided to go play around with the sewing machine. I had thought about a week or so ago, making a hanger for the clothespins, I just didn't know how I was going to go about doing it. After sitting at my sewing table, and looking around at what I have, I gathered together the following:

a cut of denim leg (knee down of course)

about 6 inches of velcro

and 2 colors of scrap material




I ripped the seam out of the pant leg (that was painful-holy cow!).

Then I folded the scrap material into thirds, and sewed them together making a sorta strap type thing. I made two of these "straps". Then, on one end of each of the straps, I put 3 inches of velcro, with a space of about 3 inches between the peices that fit together (this is the part that goes over the clothes line and hangs).

After putting the velcro on, I sewed the straps to the denim on what would be the back of the bag. (It was at this point, that I actually went to bed for the night, because I had to work today. So, I took a creativity break. LOL)

I then turned the bag inside out, and seemed up the side and the bottom. (This step happened when I got home from work today. I had about 15 minutes before I had to go pick up my 12 year old from school, so I decided that I would finish my bag! After all, I'm a horrible horrible procrastinator, and knew it wouldn't end well if I didn't finish it right then!)

I cut off the excess bottom material, turned the bag right side out, and POOF! Amber made a bag!

I took it outside this afternoon, and put it to the test. It works great!

We can move it down the line when we hang clothes, no more running back and forth to get pins. Also, when my grandma had a clothespin holder, if it was knocked hard enough, it would fall off the line and guess who'd have to pick it up? (C'mon first two guesses don't count) With the velcro, it's pretty secure, and won't spill over unless it was deliberately dumped. (3 inches of velcro is a strong hold!)

I have 100 clothespins, and it holds all of them, with room to spare.

I'll take pictures tomorrow (tonight was church night, so I didn't get much done between work and leaving)

And my husband thinks I'm crazy for keeping all this material! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment