Thursday, October 9, 2014

Job Hunting

The most horrific thing about job hunting (for me) is a resume.

   A PROFESSIONAL RESUME 

Seriously, it's like a whole new world.  As a CNA, I didn't really need much of a resume, just something that said "Hey! I've had so many years of experience and yes I finished high school."  Now that I have to do one on a professional level, it's like it's own job.  Wording, and placement, and cover pages.
COVER PAGES....
Now make each and every one of those jobs you want, a completely separate resume and cover page to show off what YOU PERSONALLY want to bring to the table at their company.  It's exhausting, and probably why I have not heard anything from any of the places I've applied for.  I can make a GREAT generic resume.  Seriously!  In my college learnin' class I was the bestest resume maker!  Now, here I am a professional, no longer a lay-worker, no longer a "Take a 6 week class and make less than the dude at McDonalds" worker.
I'm freaking out man...like, I'm tripping on acid and watching The Wall explode.

There are so many things I wish I knew before I got to this point in my "nursing career".  Things like: even though they say a new graduate is less than 6 months nursing experience, it really means we don't want you to know a single thing about working as an RN, because that will taint the perfect knowledge WE will give you, or RN means instant supervisor-new or not.
I know that there is a stigma attached to being a nursing home nurse.  I know that nursing home nurses think that hospital nurses are spoiled because they 'only' have 4-6 patients.  I also know that there is NO WAY to compare the two.  It is two completely different areas of nursing.  NO, I did not say levels, I said areas.  I do a lot of high acuity nursing where I work.  I've done low acuity nursing in the hospital.
The skills are the same, it's just how it's applied.  The 30 patients I take care of on a nightly basis, the 3 I took care of in the hospital; same assessments, same care, a lot more prioritization.  I've learned a lot, and I have aquired a lot of skills that were never touched on in nursing school.  I have had a number of wonderful nurses to draw from, and a number of horrid experiences to learn from.  All this coming together into a wonderful ball of nursing.
How exactly do I put this out there, into the universe, how much I've learned, how much I care, and how much more I want to see and do and learn!

I begin to search for jobs (or as they are called in this level "careers") I start to get discouraged because as soon as you click the apply for this job button it asks for a resume; and I remember that horribly disfigured creation I've tucked under the rug.
It's so bad, I've thought of paying someone to make me a resume.  SERIOUSLY!

So, here it is, me, putting it out into the universe that I need to get off my butt, and out of the pity party and make a resume.  Just one.  Then, maybe I can go from there.  After the resume, then maybe I can put together a cover page.

No comments:

Post a Comment