Friday, October 18, 2019

Research and learning

I've said it before, and I'm probably going to say it again at some point in my life, but researching something that one of your family members has isn't always the best thing to do. 
However, having said that, because of what's going on with Sabrina, I HAVE to research some things. 
Like, physical therapy for people with anoxic brain injuries or traumatic brain injuries; and how to perform them correctly. 
Like, how to make your own food to fit down a peg tube.

So much information is out there, but not where it needs to be.  Not where someone would think it would be.  I get my peg tube nutrition information from an oral cancer site, and I got some therapy ideas from an article in a newspaper from Texas. 

My knowledge can get me pretty far. My understanding of the human body as a nurse will help me care for her at home.  However, having to dig for the information really puts a damper on things.  Now, I'll find the information, and I'll do everything in my power to give her what she needs.  I just wish it was a little bit easier to find on the internet.  I wish that someone had actually put together that this was a thing.  Maybe they have, and I just have not found it yet.  If they have, I'm going to keep looking. 
I have a gigantic feeling that caloric intake counting is going to be a huge deal in about a month.  Nutrients, micro-nutrients, macro-nutrients,percentages, protein, carbs, fiber.  All that dietary jazz  Guess who is going to be my best friend soon?  The LTAC dietitian.  And if I get nothing there, then I'll definitely be going to the library a lot.  I'll be reading, and learning 
Maybe I'll go to school to become a dietitian while I stay home and take care of Brina. 
Oh.  Wait. 
We need my state benefits to help care for her and to pay for doctor visits.

Our life has changed drastically.
Not for the worse, just drastically.

New knowledge has to be taken in.  New responsibilities have to be taken on. 
This is our life now.

Research, and more research.
Learning new ways to do things.  Learning new ways to do almost everything. 
Learning how our family works now.  How this new family dynamic will be.

This is the new us, and I love us.

No comments:

Post a Comment